02 May 2010

Stewart's Heroics Give Wolves Win In Double Overtime


After 92:21 of play, Stewart finally came through with his second marker of the game to end it in Chicago’s favor. Left wing Brett Sterling took the initial shot, and Stars netminder Brent Krahn gave up the rebound, which Stewart was able to poke over the goal line.

Forwards Spencer Machacek and Jason Krog provided the rest of the scoring for Chicago (5-4), while Sterling helped out with three assists to hand Texas (5-1) its first loss of the postseason.

Goaltender Peter Mannino (4-3) thwarted 35 shots in the effort.

“We controlled most of the game but they battled back – that’s the type of team they are,” said Wolves Head Coach Don Lever. “We hung in there pretty well and found a way.”

Chicago drew first blood, 8:36 into the game. Sterling gathered the puck out of a scrum in front of the net and threw it out to Arturs Kulda at the blue line. The defenseman fired a long shot, which Machacek deflected past Texas goaltender Brent Krahn.

The Wolves inched ahead, 2-0, 3:51 into the second period. Krog won a face-off in the Stars zone and slipped the puck back to defenseman Ivan Vishnevskiy. The blueliner wound up and cranked a shot from high in the zone, which Krog got his stick on and deflected past Krahn.

Krahn (5-0) turned aside 42 shots for the Stars.

Texas pulled within one, 2-1, with 74 seconds left in the second period. Right wing Greg Rallo crashed into the Wolves zone and flipped a high shot, which Mannino blocked, but the rebound skipped out for center Aaron Gagnon to push home.

Stewart regained the two-goal lead for Chicago with his team-leading fourth power-play strike of the playoffs, 1:32 into the third frame. Right wing Tim Stapleton took a pass from Sterling and attempted a wrap-around, before the puck squirted out for Stewart to slap home the rebound.

Defenseman Andrew Hutchinson brought the Stars back within one, 3-2, when he collected the puck off of the boards behind the Wolves net and flung an angled shot up over Mannino with just over eight minutes remaining in the game.

Texas tied the game, 3-3, with 54 seconds left in regulation after a flurry of action in front of the net that saw the puck slip beneath two fallen Wolves and Mannino, who tried to dive forward to cover it.

The Wolves head to Austin, Texas, for Game 3, which will take place at the Cedar Park Center on Tue., May 4, at 7:30 p.m.

Texas 0 1 2 0 0 -- 3

Chicago 1 1 1 0 1 -- 4

First Period---1, Chicago, Machacek 3 (Kulda, Sterling), 8:36; . Penalties---Lindgren, Texas (slashing), 12:05; Chelios, Chicago (cross-checking), 12:05; Stephenson, Texas (diving), 13:08; Sterling, Chicago (cross-checking), 13:08; Holzapfel, Chicago (holding), 18:07.

Second Period---2, Chicago, Krog 4 (Vishnevskiy), 3:51; 3, Texas, Gagnon 1 (Rallo, Hutchinson), 18:46. Penalties---Stapleton, Chicago (holding the stick), 7:25; Ludwig, Texas (holding), 19:43.

Third Period---4, Chicago, Stewart 5 (Stapleton, Sterling), 1:32 pp; 5, Texas, Hutchinson 3 (Wilson), 11:57; 6, Texas, Peters 2 (Wathier), 19:06. Penalties---Benn, Texas (interference), 9:05; Oystrick, Chicago (holding), 14:46.

First Overtime---None. Penalties---Peters, Texas (holding), 10:25; Chelios, Chicago (diving), 10:25.

Second Overtime---7, Chicago, Stewart 6 (Sterling, Vishnevskiy), 12:21. Penalties---None.

Shots on goal---Texas: 9-10-10-5-4--38. Chicago: 8-15-4-10-9--46. Power plays---Texas: 0-3. Chicago: 1-2. Goalies---Texas, Krahn (42-46). Chicago, Mannino (35-38). A---3,732. Referee---Kyle Rehman. Linesmen---Brian Oliver and Bryan Pancich.